Sunday 28 September 2008

Childhood Museum and Stitch Club

I've been reading Maria's blog about how her son's friend had never seen a sewing machine before. I guess during the 90s and early 00s many parents would rather buy their children computer games or just let them watch TV. However, I've noticed that during the mid 2000s to date I have seen more parents sewing, knitting and encouraging children to play with hand-made/non-computerised toys. As a parent myself, I do play computer games, but together as a family. I also encourage hand-made toys and crafting, so I think it is good to have a good balance.


I took my daughter to the V&A Museum of Childhood in Bethnal Green this weekend (for a pinic as well) and it was such a lovely experience. I felt really old as many of the toys such as Cindy (the 70s and 80s type not the modern version), Strawberry Shortcake, etc, were displayed in the museum as retro toys. I also noticed that they have Knitter and Knatter afternoons for keen knitters to get together for tea and 'knit'.


There were also a display of children sewing machines, one which I recognised. My Mum bought me the blue and yellow one when I was about seven or eight. Unfortunately I broke it on day one, which kinds to explain why it took me so long to start sewing again (I started again in my thirties). I also want to share this website with everyone: Stitch Club. Children aged 8 and upwards can learn how to sew. How cool is that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to love taking my daughter to the museum of childhood, I enjoyed it as much as she did. Isn't stitch club a great idea, I know a lady who has taken on a franchise and is really enjoying the challenge.

Kyoko said...

Cool!! Me too, I used to have a tiny toy sewing machine which I loved using. Did you have Cindy? I did!!! LOL!
You are very good at finding really cool exhibition. I should get out more. Look forward to Knit and stitch show! :DDD

jo said...

Thanks for popping by, heard from Jack and he is fine. we all feel a itle better too. I still have my sewing machine from when I was young. My mom had stored it in the loft and gave it to me a few years ago. Will have a look in our loft for it hopefully post a few photos.

angharad handmade said...

My girl had a children's sewing machine from Father Christmas last year ... sadly it is a little on the temperamental side! Thanks for those links - those stitch club classes look great. I wish they had something similar round here for my little girl. That would be right up her street!

Knit Sew City Girl said...

Hi All,

I'm glad that you girls found the link to Stitch Club useful. I forgot to mention that they have a Franchise and an online shop.

I would love to see photos of your sewing machines (for children). When my daughter gets older I might pass her the Janome I have at the moment and upgrade...is that naughty?? :>

Mary