Sunday 11 January 2009

The 'Husband Scarve' is finished!!

I hope eveyone has settled back to their normal routine and not missing the holidays too much. The weather has been exceptionally cold here in London, today it was -2 where we live. To cheer myself up before starting work again, I made some carrot cakes for friends and family (I ate 3 which was very naughtly) last Sunday. Yum Yum, I'm tempted to make some more, but I think I will make the healthy version instead of the 'ultimate' one next time.


Waking up at 6.30am instead of 10.30am was definately a shock to the system. Although the walk to the station in sub-zero temparature is not something I would do out of choice (we have unreliable buses here) but the scenery was absolutely beautiful in my view. Here is a photo I took on my mobile:

I wanted to just watch the ducks and swans 'iceskating', but I had to get to work on time. I arranged to go to Loop on Thursday lunch time with a colleague and bought two circular needles, two row counters and needle point protectors. The lady at Loop gave me some advice on the magic loop technique, which is to use circular needles with a longer cable (80cm to 100cm). I told her that I wanted to knit some socks, mittens and hats, using this method. She was so helpful, no wonder they won 'Local Yarn Shop of the Year' (Lets Knit Magazine Award).

Anyway, the whole point of this post to say that I've finally finished my husband's never ending scarve. I initally knitted it using 4mm by mistake, so I unwinded it a re-knitted it using the correct 8mm needles. Yay! Just in time for the cold weather too!

7 comments:

angharad handmade said...

Lovely frosty photo! The scarf turned out really well, I really like the colour. Your husband must be really pleased with it, especially in view of the freezing weather!
I'm very jealous of your trip to Loop - I was looking at their website the other day and they have the most amazing selection of yarn.

Anonymous said...

What a great scarf! I hope hubby loves it.
Susan (from Loop!)

Kyoko said...

Hurray!!! The scarf looks lovely! Well done :D I bet your husband is really happy wearing such a cozy scarf in this very cold weather.
OMG 6.30am photo looks very scary. Even during the day I wear so many layers of clothes (literally, tights, socks and jeans), but I am still cold. The cupcakes look absolutely yum. I really wish I could bake! :D Hop you had a wonderful weekend!

Annie B said...

lovely cupcakes, lovely walk to work view (though am totally with you on the shock to the system the early rises are - arrgh!) LOVELY hubbys scarf...

looking forward to seeing what else you come up with in 09

Anonymous said...

I love your photo of the frost, just the weather for the fabulous scalf! I have never made it to loop when its been open, but it does sound like a fab place to go. The windows are always interesting.

Knit Sew City Girl said...

Hi All!

Again, thanks for your lovely comment on the scarf. Hubby was grateful for the scarve, but I think I better wash it as I have been knitting it on and off for several months.

Hi Susan!

Nice to hear from you. I have yet to test out the needles and magic loop method, but will be get I get some free time in the evening. It's very fortunate that my workplace is so close to Loop. Might pop over again later on.

Mary

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog via Lupin, lovely and will be back soon!