Thursday 6 November 2008

Unwinding and Starting Again

Remember the beret that I was suppose to knit for my Mum a few months ago? Yes the one that I messed up? Well, I have taken my Mum's advice and I have unwind everything and started again. This time I followed a new pattern from Let's Knit magazine called Renee. You can get the pattern free on their website. The instruction was bit strange as it requires 7mm and 20mm needles. So the base fits snugly whilst the body is nice and loose. This makes the beret nice and light. The good thing about it is that it only uses one ball of Rowan Little Big Wool. I also made one for myself in purple.


My Mum also complained that the handle of my first bag looks too messy. So she taught me how to correct my mistake by:
  • ripping out the seam,
  • make a larger gap towards the top of one side of the handle,
  • turn the end of the two handles so the right sides are facing each other and sew across,
  • turn the handle back to the right sides should all be neatly sewed together
  • close the gap that was opened when top stitching the edge.

It is a difficult to explain so please excuse the inexperienced instructions.

My Mum has agreed to teach me how to sew now...yay! She has refused for 30 years, probably because I broke my first sewing machine....Hee! Hee! Seriously, I think she wanted me to get a career first, but now that I'm a Mother and a Wife, I need to be able to sew so I can mend/make basic clothes at home....so she has agreed. I originally thought of spending £390 to learn, but there is a lot more I can do with that kind of money, so I have decided to buy some books and patterns instead.

5 comments:

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Love the beret!! I taught myself to quilt using books - there are so many great books and tutorials out there - you will be sewing like a pro in next to no time!!

Kyoko said...

Fantastic idea! You will be making clothes in no time. I love the beret. It was worth doing it again!

Anonymous said...

Love the beret! What a star your mum is, I was taught to sew at school, a little from my mother and a fab class Prescot and Mackay used to run with a lovely lady called Magda. But mistakes have taught me invaluable lessons too!

Hannah said...

Well done on not giving up on the beret! I don't think I could have done.;) It great that you have someone to teach you to sew, I think I might have to go to lessons soon as there's only so much I can teach myself!

Knit Sew City Girl said...

Hi All,

Thanks for your comments....so encouraging. The beret is very quick to knit, it only took me a few hours.

Mary